Monday, December 31, 2012

Forget New Year's resolutions: commit to Kaizen!

The Holidays are almost over, and we are faced with the daunting prospect of starting the new year a few pounds heavier and a few dollars poorer. During this time of the year, I have often committed to a New Year's resolution (or two). I start out with great expectations - if I can only do this "X" number of times in a row, it will become a habit! I set reminders on my smart phone, enlist my wife's help, and build "mutual accountability" relationships with friends.

Even after all that effort, I am often disappointed in myself as the resolution doesn't stick and the changes don't happen!

Common in the Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma worlds, Kaizen is a Japanese philosophy that focuses on continual improvement throughout all aspects of life.

At work, it implies that we "make room for the future". Commit to doing something everyday, or at least every week, that will improve the future. This is harder than it seems, as the concerns of everyday leadership and management tend to overwhelm us and make us focus on the tactical vs. the strategic. So it needs to become a commitment to Kaizen - make room to improve the future on a regular basis.

In the world of technical management, it may be as simple as improving or implementing a process. Or investing some time exploring a new technology. Or upgrading an IDE. Simple things can make a big difference, and they often don't take a lot of resources or time.

In my personal life, I tend to focus on incremental improvements that will make others happier. Or make their burdens lighter. Some examples in my life are doing dishes and laundry, cleaning up after I cook and keeping the cars filled with gas.

And some of my changes are enjoyable - like committing to reading the classics. Or learning a new song on my guitar. Or spending more quality time with my wife.

The point is - it's not a one-time, annual event. It is a commitment to continuous improvement. So, if you do make a New Year's resolution this year - resolve to commit to Kaizen!

No comments: